Welcome to our gun safe reviews site, and the best gun safe buying guide. As a responsible gun owner, firearm storage is paramount. Firearms must be stored securely and safely in order to prevent misuse, theft, and protection against fire and corrosion. Whether you own one gun or over 100 you need to choose a safe for the home that best serves the needs and safety of your family and your collection. Apart from firearms, a well-built gun safe can securely protect important documents and other valuables such as coins, cameras, jewelry, watches, custom knives and anything else of high value.
There are several categories of gun safes ranging from simple lockboxes to those that are the quality of a bank vault. Some safes can be mounted in walls, beneath floorboards and other hidden locations to add concealment as part of the package. All you have to do is read our gun safe reviews, and get the best gun safe.
Things to consider when buying a gun safe
- Purchase a safe which is bigger than your needs. A gun safe is far much more than a simple gun locker. This is because it also functions as a secure storage room for other family valuables too. It’s very likely to find that a large safe fills up rather fast after acquiring it. This is a good idea in that you get to save the time, money and effort that you would have spent looking for another safe several months or years later when you get a new weapon. You will also save yourself from the hassle of looking for a buyer for your current smaller safe.
- Obtain a safe which offers fire resistance, even if it means spending slightly more than usual. Make sure that you read some gun safe reviews and you weigh all the available options before you decide on the safe to go for. In most cases, you will only be required to add a relatively small amount of money to get a fireproof safe. One important thing to have in mind is the fact that even if you choose to buy a safe that is not fireproof; you will eventually need to install some form of fire protection. This is usually more expensive than getting one that’s fireproof. After all, the whole point of having a safe is to make sure that you get the highest level of protection to everything that’s inside the safe. It would be pointless to get one without fire protection.
- Take a look at multiple and diverse safe brands prior to acquiring them. There are sizeable differences among brands. You can, for instance, get a door-mounted rifle rack from one company, whereas another offers slide-out drawers with a modular design, which is easier to move at the same price. You may also find a product that utilizes advanced methods for securing and stabilizing its fire-proofing layers inside safe. Some safes also offer burglar proofing of commercial grade, consisting of much thicker steel featuring heavy composite walls and doors. There is also another type of fire insulation which possesses greater structural strength than the typical sheetrock panels. All these should be weighed against your requirements to ensure that you get the very best deals.
- Know all the specifications of the safe. A large, heavy safe is not necessarily secure. Steel of heavy gauge has greater resistance to drilling and cutting, compared to light, 12- or even 14-gauge steel. Certain scafes on offer in the market possess walls which are very thin to the extent that they can be penetrated with a fire ax. It is recommended to ensure that you have at least 10-gauge steel. The safe needs to carry Underwriters Laboratories “Residential Security Container (UL RSC)” rating or better.
- Get to know about the safeguards that the safe has against tampering. A safe of reasonable quality should have extra armor or drilling-defeating devices. Low-quality safes may be easily opened within a few minutes with simple hand tools. All safes should possess re-lockers to ensure that they remain well-locked in case a burglary takes place. These accessories comprise of hardened pins which get triggered during the attack and may not be retracted, except after hours of drilling. Any safe can have re-lockers ranging between 2 and 10, depending upon its size plus burglary grade.
A gun safe is typically a lifetime purchase. If you only own a few firearms and do not plan on adding any more you can get by with a small model, but if you are a budding collector or aspiring shooter, you may want to think ahead and consider how your collection may grow over the years. A large safe is by its nature difficult to move and has little resale value.
The best advice is to purchase the largest safe that will fit in your home and will accommodate the total number of firearms or other items that you wish to store. Safe sizes can be misleading. A safe listed by a manufacturer as holding 40 guns may only realistically hold ½ to ¾ that amount, particularly if your collection includes scoped rifles or long guns with pistol grip type stocks.
Always remember to read some gun safe reviews, because, in the majority of instances, the listed size will not be entirely accurate and plan accordingly.
When reading some gun safe reviews, make sure you understand the differences between locking mechanisms. Each safe will have its unique locking mechanism whether it is a key, combination dial, digital lock or biometric lock. Each of these has its advantages and disadvantages
The lowest level of security is a simple keyed lock. The user needs to insert the key and turn it to open or lock the safe or cabinet. Keyed locks are designed to prevent unauthorized access by children, repairmen or burglars looking for a quick and easy target.
A combination dial represents the next level, and some might say the highest level of protection when it comes to a gun safe. The user either spins a dial in various configurations or uses a digital keypad to unlock the safe.
The downside to a manual combination lock includes slow accessibility and the possibility of forgetting the combination. Likewise, to change the combination from the factory setting, a locksmith must be hired. They are not recommended for people with poor hand strength or those suffering from arthritis, either, as the dial can become difficult for these people to turn.
The majority of gun safes on the market are moving toward the digital keypad. They may be more expensive than a rotary combination dial, but allow the user to change the combination and set the combination to an easily remembered configuration. They offer fast access and usually have a built-in lock out feature that prevents access for 5 minutes after five failed attempts.
Digital keypad locks are powered by an internal battery that must be replaced on a yearly basis. Some of the better brands will incorporate a low battery sensor to prevent accidental lockout.
Type of Gun Safes
There are different types of locks available for your safe and a number of companies are providing them. You can search over the internet for your nearest brand of locks.
The most common types of locks include:
- Combination lock
- Digital or electronic lock
- Biometric or fingerprint lock
The first two types work under the same principle- using a combination to unlock the safe. The combination locks are the most common type that you can see. It doesn’t require any external source of battery or power.
The electronic locks use the combination of digits (usually from 0 to 9) to lock and unlock the safe. It is easier to use than the combination lock. One security benefit you will find from the digital lock is that it disables itself after many wrong codes entered. So unless you tell the combination to others, it’s literally impossible to break the code. Digital locks need batteries that have to be changed after a period of time.
Fingerprint or biometric locks are as secured as the previous two types of lock. They store finger prints and scan those while unlocking the safe. It’s quicker and easier to use than the digital locks since it requires only fingers to open the safe. The biometric locks also need batteries to run.
Not only the interior but the exterior of the safe needs to be solid as well. It has to be rust-resistant so that you get a long endurance from it. Another important note that you need to keep in mind is- your gun safe needs to be fire resistant. That’s why you will have to choose the materials which withstand the fire or other significant amounts of heat. To make your gun safe fireproof, the weight of it needs to be anywhere from 750 lbs. The steel that is used in the safe needs to be at least 7-10 gauges to make it safe from robbery.
To make your gun safe a safer and stronger device, you can mount it to the floor. This will prevent thieves or robbers from unmounting it by pushing repeatedly and wearing the structure. Taking off the entire structure is even more difficult with this kind of arrangement. Some of the safes on the market have built-in holes along with mounting equipment that help you setting up the arrangement to the floor.
A gun safe is a combination of different racks, drawers, lighting system, shelves etc. So, you need to make sure that they appear altogether in the unit. Don’t forget to install a very good dehumidifying system as well.
3 Top Rated Small Manual Best Gun Safe reviews:
These are much smaller or somewhat equal in size to biometric, and they have manual or electronic locking system. The difference between these two is that electronic gun safes have digital or key locking system while biometric have fingerprint locking system.
|Gunvault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe||4.1/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault||4.2/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer||4.3/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
1.Gunvault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe Gun Safe
Gunvault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe Gun Safe is a firearms storage device with a latch opening and partitioned interior compartment. This is probably one of the best gun safe. The safe relies on the patented No-Eyes learn button keypad locking mechanism and is a single 9-volt battery power its operation. The safe features foam lining for item protection. The product comes with emergency keys and pre-drilled holes and anchor points for mounting. Covered by 1 year limited warranty and is approved for gun storage by California Department of Justice. The biometric version of the Multi Vault safe is also available.
Key Features and Advantages:
- Design and Appearance: The design of the gun safe is characteristic of the Multi Vault series of Gun vault, which is simplistic, compact, partitioned and utilitarian. The exterior is black with 16 gauge steel construction. The safe features a drop down latch, revealing the interior storage space partitioned into two shelves.
- Reliability: You can count on Gun vault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe Gun Safe because of its durable construction and smooth access. The 16-gauge steel construction of the gun safe is a formidable defense against any possible intruders and rules out the possibility of someone pry opening the safe using hand tools. The code is easy to set and fast to respond thanks to a high-performance self-learning algorithm incorporated in the design for better recognition and reduced false rejects.
- Ease of Use: This Gun Safe has a straightforward and compact design which makes it very easy to install, thanks to the pre-drilled anchor points. Once you are ready to use it, the programming of the code comes as easy and conveniently. Audio feedback can guide the user over wrong code entries, and they could even disable if wanted to work in a quieter, “stealthier” environment. For reading full and more detailed review of GV2000C-DLX click here.
Gun vault GV2000C-DLX Multi Vault Deluxe Gun Safe Video Review:
2.Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe Review
Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe is a firearms storage device with a battery-powered locking system. This is a very informative Gun Safe Reviews of the gun safe. The locking system of the gun safe is the patented No-Eyes touch-sensitive learn button keypads, programmable to up to 12 million unique combinations. The investment on MV500-STD is secured by a 1-year limited warranty while it is also approved for use by the California Department of Justice. We have reviewed this product separately so click here for reading.
Key Features and Advantages:
- Design and Appearance: The Micro Vault series of Gun Vault features a case like opening mechanism. The steel exterior is black with a smooth finish and carries the touch-sensitive learn keys prominently placed in the center of the safe. The design of micro-sized pistol gun vault is suitable for easy portability and perfectly fits a 0.45 caliber 1911 style pistol. With the dimensions of 11 x 8.5 x 2.25 inches, it weighs just 4 pounds and is very easy to carry from one place to another. We have reviewed this product separately so click here for reading.
- Reliability: This is the Best Gun Safe that delivers remarkable security through its electronic mechanism. The gun safe is a reliable device as it is equipped with an electronic lock, with a conveniently placed keypad for a quick access response. The exterior is forged out of heavy gauge steel which is shock proof and adequately protects any attempts to break down the structure of the safe.
- Ease of Use: Given the portable nature of this gun safe, it offers great flexibility of installation. The gun safe comes with a pre-drilled anchor point that could easily fix it to a drawer, a wall or inside a vehicle. The gun safe is very easy to use due to its simple and compact design. You can set up your access code within a minute of first use and can rely on its locking mechanism to offer quick access on demand.
- Design Functions: The design of the pistol vault is conceived to precisely to fit the dimensions of 1911 style pistols. The No-Eyes feel buttons are central to the exterior design. The interior of the pistol safe is lined with foam to protect the equipment or another objected stored inside. The exterior has a smooth finish to it that immediately tells you that you are looking at a quality product while the interior is lined with foam to protect the equipment inside.we have reviewed this product separately so click here for reading.
Watch the YouTube Video for more details about gun safe reviews.
This US made gun safe not only offers an attractive and solid design but also provides reliable security for the safety of your firearms and other small belongings. With the length of just under 2 feet and light weight, Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol is the Best Gun Safe and inexpensive choice for enhancing the security of your personal items. Whether you are a gun novice or a seasoned collector, this handy piece of gun safety storage could prove useful to you in any case.
3.Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Gun Safe Reviews with Electronic Lock
The Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock is a solid built small personal or home defense type safe. It is just the right size to fit in a large drawer and still hold a full-size handgun and some ammo. It can also accommodate jewelry and other valuables.
The electronic lock lets you open it quickly, and it also has a backup key function which is nice. Three incorrect attempts will lock up the keypad making it unusable for a certain amount of time so that no unauthorized person can gain access to your weapons or valuables. This is one of the best gun safe because it has a great feature that allows you to turn off the beeping sounds of the keypad so access can be silent. If you are using this as a home defense safe the last thing you need is a beeping keypad giving your location away.
The predrilled holes allow this unit be mounted securely so it cannot be easily removed. The smaller size makes it easy to conceal this safe on a shelf or cupboard if a drawer is impractical. The keypad is not backlit so if the primary function of this safe is the home defense you will want to keep a flashlight close by it or do as one person did and install a light.For reading more detailed our review about this product click here.
Home Safes Reviews for the Stack on PDS 500 Safe with Electronic Lock:
Features and Specifications:
- Stack-On PDS Drawer Electronic Safe weight: 12.8 pounds
- Dimensions: 11.8 x 8.6 x 4.2 inches
- Has backup key access that can override the electronic lock
- Heavy Duty Solid Steel Construction
- Solid Steel Live action Locking bolts with concealed hinges
- Pre-drilled holes and mounting hardware
- Compact Easy to Conceal
- Uses 4 AA batteries(included)
- One year limited warranty
For reading more detailed gun safe reviews and this product and other best gun safes click here.
Stack on PDS 500 Safe Video Review
4 Top Rated Biometric Gun Safes
|BARSKA Biometric Safe||4.0/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|BARSKA Quick Access Biometric Rifle||4/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Gun vault Speed Vault SV500||4.5/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Barska AX11650 Quick Access||4/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
Biometric Gun Safes
Biometric Safes or Fingerprint Safes offer reliable fingerprint recognition as a means to safeguard your valuables. They can be had in various sizes from the single handgun size up to a large vault. These best gun safes work on the principle of scanning an authorized user’s fingerprint and can usually accommodate multiple authorized users.
Their kinds of locks are like the digital keypad and are powered by an internal battery. Likewise, the better brands will incorporate some low battery sensor to prevent accidental lockout.
BARSKA Biometric Safe
BARSKA Biometric Safe is a compact security storage device for firearms and other valuables which rely on two solid steel locking bolts. The multi-purpose safe features a prominent biometric thumb access scanner and allows up to 30 fingerprints stored in it. The operation of the lock is of course electronic and therefore, 4 AA sized batteries which power the device are included in the package. The product is approved for firearms storage by the California Department of Justice and is covered by one-year limited warranty.
Key Features and Advantages:
Design: The design of BARSKA Biometric Safe is compact, simplistic and sleek. The black exterior has a smooth finish while the interior is just large enough to hold a 0.45 caliber handgun. The exterior of the safe features a centrally placed large metallic bolt dial, which conveniently contains the biometric thumb scanner. The dimensions of the safe are 12 x 8 x 7.5 inches with a light weight of 12 pounds. The package features 4 AA-size batteries for operation, as well as emergency backup keys.
Reliability: This is one of the best gun safe and is pretty reliable as its structure, and its accessibility further add to the value that it delivers. With its solid steel double bolt locking, it is not a safe that anyone can crack using ridiculous hand tool techniques. The Biometric locking system works flawlessly and smoothly, saving the rightful owner any agony that is associated with not being able to open their safes.
Ease of Use: Among the greatest benefits are its sheer convenience, accessibility and ease of use. It is just remarkable how secure the biometric technology can make security tools to work with. You do not need to remember a lock combination or even a code of a couple of numbers to open your safe and to be sure that anyone unauthorized would not be able to break in.
Pricing: This valuable safe is remarkably inexpensive. With a reliable biometric security system on such a compact, safe design, the BARSKA Biometric is the Best Gun Safe as good a deal as it comes.
BARSKA Biometric Safe Vide Review:
2.BARSKA Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe Review:
BARSKA Quick Access Biometric Rifle is the Best Gun Safe with firearms security storage device with electronic biometric access and points solid deadbolt locking system. The safe offers a solid steel construction with 2mm thick walls and features pre-drilled anchor points for installation. The package includes 4 AA batteries and 2 emergency override keys. It is approved by California Department of Justice and covers the consumer with a 1-year warranty.
Key Features and Advantages:
Design and Appearance: The design of the rifle safe is minimal and utilitarian with a smooth finish painted in black. Simple, straightforward and useful, just like many gun owners would like it. It is modern in every respect and has a robust design that is impenetrable.
Reliability: This enormous rifle safe runs on just 4 AA batteries. The batteries are included in the shipment and run for no less than a duration of 2 years. This makes the maintenance of the rifle safe a very simple task, so it offers you a lot of solutions without adding a single headache.
Ease of Use: Once you have this rather massive rifle safe successfully and securely installed, life is all good as it is incredibly easy to use. The biometric installation hardly takes a minute, and the response to the access request is faster and smoother than most biometric access points. The quality of the technology is excellent, and it offers reasonable storage memory of the fingerprints of up to 120 individual users at a time.
Design Features: One of the most remarkable aspects of this rifle safe is its huge internal storage capacity which should immediately catch the attention of any gun owner. While this rifle safe has some serious volume, it can offer you the high return on that regarding excellent storage of all your ammo and rifles.
This very detailed review is hard to ignore for a gun enthusiast, or even for someone who is cautious about their security. The product is so valuable that you can hardly keep yourself from adding it to the wish list. This is a high-quality product that can offer you very reliable home defense, even if it falls short of completely fulfilling the needs of advanced gun aficionados. For the price that it is available, it’s hard to say no to it.
3.Gun vault Speed Vault SV500 Gun Safe:
Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 gun safe is a security storage device with biometric electronic lock and a version with quick access no-Eyes learn keys. The device features 18-gauge steel construction and features a fast activation drop down drawer. The user would find it easier to approach the device for operation from a higher angle, though the design offers multiple mounting options as per the convenience of the user. The device comes with both biometric and electronic touch keypad locking versions. The gun safe is approved by the California Department of Justice. This is one of the honest gun safe reviews about this safe. We have reviewed this article separately and with very details, you will get all information on this page but if you want to get more visit Gunvault SpeedVault SV500 Review.
Key Features and Advantages:
Design and Appearance: One of unique aspects is its utilitarian design which is central to its function. The drop down drawer offers quick access to the gun while the keypad is conveniently placed to complement the angle of attack of the user.
Reliability: First and foremost, Gun vault Speed Vault SV500 relies on biometric security and an electronic combination locking access in its two locking styles. However, this convenience requires powering the device with a 9V battery, included in the package. Consumers have particularly appreciated for its safe security features. Unlike a number of substandard gun safes, there is no way to work around the formidable defenses of Speed Vault SV500.
Ease of Use: One of the greatest advantages is its sheer ease of use. You do not have to install the safe anywhere. However, mounting is always safer, and the safe provides multiple mounting options and hardware for the purpose. You can just set your code, and you are good to go to not only keep your gun safe, but also for immediate access at an arm’s length.
Reviews for Gun Vault Speed Vault SV500 Gun Safe are overwhelmingly positive. There is a limited number of Gun Vault Speed Vault SV500 Gun Safes out in the market and they are up for grabs. However, that does not mean at all that you cannot get a reasonable and competitive price for it. But if you like the design, seizing it sooner than later would be a wiser investment decision.
Watch Video Review
4.Barska AX11650 Quick Access Gun Safe Review
The Barska AX11650 Quick access gun safe is a great option if you have a few handguns and other valuables you need to secure. It’s a biometric gun safe with fingerprint recognition that allows up to 120 programmed fingerprints for authorized users. Uses (4) AA batteries with an external battery pack, and includes 2 backup keys. Mounting holes on the back and bottom so it can be secured either to the floor or wall for extra security.
Great size for a small gun safe!
Constructed of 1/16 inch steel with 3/16 inch thick door with 2 adjustable shelves and a protected floor mat to keep items from being scratched and scuffed. Barska biometric gun safes are one of the best home safes, quality at a great price!
Outside dimensions are 14″ x 13″ x 19 3/4 inches, inside dimensions are 13 1/2″ x 9 1/2″ x 19 1/2″ We love the size of this one, it’s roomy and with the biometric recognition it will give you very quick access to this gun safe.
3 Top Large Gun Safes
|Mesa Safe Company MBF6032||4.7/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|The 8-Gun Double Door Steel Security Cabinet||4.2/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
|Stack-On GCB-8RTA Security plus 8-Gun||4/5 Stars||Read Full Review||Check Price|
1. Mesa Safe Company MBF6032E Rifle Gun Safe with Digital Lock
If you are in the market for a new gun safe, then we can help you. Our goal is to provide gun owners with the information that they need to get best gun safe that is going to meet or exceed their expectations, especially when it comes to security. If you have never actually considered buying best gun safe before, what are you waiting for? It is the only way to keep your guns out of the wrong hands. Today, let’s look closely at the Mesa Safe Company MBF6032E 14.4 Cubic Foot 30 Rifle Gun Safe with Digital Lock and see how it measures up.
Now that we have taken a closer look at the manufacturer, we need to get down to what matters most- the features. The Mesa Safe Company MBF6032E 14.4 Cubic Foot 30 Rifle Gun Safe with Digital Lock has a whole lot of features to offer. They include:
- 100% steel construction
- 1 1/2” thickness
- Fully upholstered
- 1-hour fire rated
- Battery operated electronic lock
- Relocking device
- Anchor holes for securing the safe
- Brass handle
It does have a lot to offer gun owners, especially those that are looking for something that has a lot of space to organize guns and other valuables.
Watch Video Review
2.The 8-Gun Double Door Steel Security Cabinet
The 8-Gun Double Door Steel Security Cabinet is a multi-firearms storage safe featuring 4 point locking system. The safe is the tallest available as per the industry standards, standing at 57 inches. Furthermore, the reliable features HMC high-security tubular locking mechanism with over 100 key code combinations. The product is approved for firearms storage by the California Department of Justice. It is as suitable for commercial use, as it is for residential use.
Key Features and Advantages:
- Design and Appearance:The safe is a large double door operation and has a minimal and professional look to it. Finished with black powder coated epoxy, the 8-Gun Double Door Steel Security Cabinet stands as tall as they come in the firearms security storage industry, at just three inches short of 5 feet.
- Reliability:The 8-Gun Double Door Steel Security Cabinet scores very high on reliability, but not just because of its massive size. While the locking system of the safe is completely mechanical, the chances of anyone breaking into it are next to none. The 4-point locking system is complex and formidable while the tubular locking mechanism makes it even harder for an intruder to crack the code. While the possibility of anyone trying to pick this lock is a fool’s errand, the 100 key code combinations are worthy of even challenging a machine.
- Ease of Use: Due to the sheer size of the security cabinet, the initial installation can be a challenge, but you can be pretty sure about how simple it is to use from that point on. Users with experience with old fashioned safes are more likely to be at home with this 4-point locking system as it does not involve electronic locking.
3.Stack-On GCB-8RTA Security Plus 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Storage Cabinet
With the Stack-On GCB-8RTA Security Plus 8-Gun Ready to Assemble Storage Cabinet, you can easily store your weapons and hunting equipment safely and soundly. It consists of a three-point locking system which is 3 points and key coded, a double-bitted lock which provides additional security.
- It is a sturdy steel gun safe that also offers removable steel shelves that can hold up to eight shotguns or rifles.
- Its assemblage is easy.
- It offers fitting parts that are integrated and fastened together.
- It provides very high fasteners, and they are tamper resistant the cabinet’s outside.
- Comes with mounting holes that are pre-drilled in the bottom well as at the back which enables you to easily attach this to the floor or wall.
Quality firearms safes are rated with the Underwriter Laboratory (UL) certification for fire and burglary protection. Underwriters Laboratories is a non-profit organization that tests a variety of products in addition to safes in order to ensure that they perform to a certain standard. This testing includes unannounced inspections at the manufacturer’s locations. A “UL Listed” safe has therefore been tested to a measurable standard.
GUN SAFE ACCESSORIES
As part of our reviews and buyer’s guide, we also offer gun safe accessories. A host of companies offers accessories to enhance the look, security or usability of a safe or cabinet. From magnetic decals to place on the exterior to change the appearance to vinyl-coated racks built to accommodate from 6 to 12 pistols on each shelf or drawers to store jewelry, watches or necessary documents; there are numerous options to maximize the capacity of a gun safe.
For handgun storage, many companies manufacture rectangular nylon cases in which a gun and its accessories can be stored. On the spine of the case, a label can be placed to identify the contents and the cases are stacked as books would be upon a bookshelf to organize the owner’s collection. This sort of system minimizes light damage to firearms hitting other firearms when removing them from the safe as well.
On the same principle of a lighted interior is use of a mirror back plate to allow the owner to more easily see the contents of the safe. This is usually a feature offered by manufacturers, but a mirror can be easily be added to the back walls of safes that do not ship with a mirrored back.
Gun Safe Dehumidifiers are often necessary to prevent guns or other valuables composed of ferrous metals from rusting.
Whether it is an errant child, opportunistic thief or a determined burglar; your safe buys you time and represents but a single layer in your security system. It is recommended that an alarm system should be used in conjunction with a safe to protect your firearms from burglary. Some insurance companies have been known to give homeowners a discount on their house insurance’s theft rider for having a safe in conjunction with a fire alarm.
Purchasing a safe or lock box based on reviews can represent a sizeable investment to protect your firearms from theft, corrosion and fire. Hope fully this guide has provided some insight into what some of the numbers and ratings mean when looking for a safe to house your collection.
Gun Safe Installation Tips
- Each safe should be anchored in place using heavy-duty fasteners. In an ideal sense, you can apply multiple bolts at the safe bottom, which are anchored to the solid or concrete foundation. Select the appropriate anchors or lag bolts for your material below safe. If for any reason you are unable to mount it to the floor, bolt your safe to wall studs. It is possible to locate stud position using a stud sensing device, which you can acquire inexpensively from stores for home supplies.
- If the safe bottom steel is not thick enough to hold the safe, you can place some steel backing strip in-between it and the bolt heads. Large washers can also work, though it is better to have a backing strip. Without using this kind of reinforcement, these bolt heads might pull right through the thin-gauge steel.
- Place the safe in a room corner or recess blocking access to one or more of its sides. The top, rear and side steel on the majority of gun safes is thinner than the one on the door. Blocking side access makes it even more difficult to use power tools on sides, where the safe is most vulnerable. It also is sagacious to place your safe in a space that is relatively tight and has limited maneuvering space. Anything that renders the safe hard to move helps in deterring burglars.
- A lot of people locate their safe within the basements or garages. While this is not entirely a bad idea, it sometimes leaves your safe near paints, gas or other highly flammable materials. If a serious house fire breaks out, such items would fuel flames and make it difficult to get access to any valuables in the safe. With this in mind, it’s important to ensure that you place the safe far from these items.
For more information and gun safe buying guide, check out our articles and our detailed reviews.